7.26.2011

Ways to Save $$$ - Take One

Again, not feeling like myself today and I'm unsure what to write about...

I was going to write about all my great times in San Francisco since I'm only running a couple weeks late on that, but I am still sharing a computer with Mr K and I fell asleep when I got home last night!  Oops!

So... here are 15 ways to save money on the easy!  And of course, my take on them! 

1. Cook at home often
     We try to do this as much as possible.  Even if it means we are eating grilled cheese and soup, or just plain ol' pasta and sauce!  It does help!  And then leftovers can be either eaten for lunch or dinner the next day! 

2. Make your own coffee
    I definitely fail on this!  I was doing really well with it and so was Mr. K.  Then I don't know what happened... I guess we just got lazy.  Lazy is not one of the ways to save money on the easy so I guess we'll need to get back in the coffee prep mode!

 

3. Brown bag lunch at least a few days a week
     This works if you get all the stuff you need at the grocery!  heh.  And I'm so bad at this because real food at lunch is so much better than a microwave meal!

4.Make a list before going shopping
     We usually do this... however, we usually do not stick strictly to the list.  I do find though that when we do stick strictly to the list we don't spend as much.  Funny how that works, eh?  You'd think I'd catch on.  Plus, you can find templates all over the place - AND even ones ready for pre-planned meals!



5. Go grocery shopping while you are in a hurry
     Does this really help?  Anyone tried it?  I would think I would buy more!

6. Buy in bulk whenever possible
     Sams Club - Yes Please!  I do find though with 2 people, bulk can equal waste so just be careful in what you choose to buy in bulk and also make sure you have the space to keep it. 

7. Buy generic products whenever possible
     I try to buy generic as often as possible, but there are certain items that Mr. K refuses to buy in the generic form.  Ketchup is one in particular.  I can't think of others right now, but the list goes on!

8. Pay your bills on time and avoid late fee
     Set them up with automatic payments!  So long as the $$$ is in your account, you'll never have to worry about this again!


9. If you have to buy books, check if you can buy them used
     Big fan of Half Price Books - ever been there?  I like that you can usually find a ton of books in there for a great price.  Only downfall to them - they offer to buy back the books you just bought from them at like 1/10th the price you bought it from them for!  Even if it's the next day. :(


10. Price check before you buy anything expensive
     Shop around is right!  And check to see if stores to price matching!  You never know... they might and if you prefer to buy from one store over another but their price is higher, they might just match it for you! 


11. Bottle your own water
     I'm a total failure at this!  I do recycle my bottles, but I should work on getting my own water bottle.  It would save $5 a shopping trip!

12. Keep your car as long as possible
     My car we will probably be keeping for my husband when his dies, but we are keeping his as long as possible.  Actually,  he's fixing his brakes right now.  He asked a friend to help him do it which took the cost down from probably somewhere between $250-$400 to $135.  I just hope they do it right! 

Pretty soon this is what Mr. K's car will look like!  heh!

13. Do regular scheduled maintenance on your vehicles
     When it's time to do it, do it!  You won't regret it!  Your car will run better for longer and if you are going to be keeping it forever like Mr. K and I then you'll need it to run for as long as possible! 

14. If you watch a lot of DVDs, get an online DVD store membership
     Netflix is our go-to.  We also enjoy redbox. 

15. Keep distance from lavish, high-roller friends
     This one cracks me up!  :)  I don't think we have any lavish high-roller friends, but we do have those who stump us with how they do what they do!!!  Do you have those too?  I feel like we work really hard and never are able to do anything or go anywhere or buy anything... Oh well, Cest 'la vie. 

I actually like some of these and am going to do my best to see what kind of $$$ I can save in the next month by implementing most of them!  Hmmm....

And hopefully you'll get to see sunny San Francisco tomorrow!  :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...